Monday, January 28, 2013

The Unknown Gods in our Lives


This week I’ve been trying to work out my schedule. I consistently feel spread pretty thin, like I don’t really have time for anything anymore. As I was pondering the reasons for this I came across this in the scriptures:

In Acts 17: 22-31, Paul, an apostle of the crucified and resurrected Jesus Christ, is preaching on Mars' Hill in Athens one day and he comes across a bunch of alters used by the people there for sacrifices. As he spots each alter on the hill he notices that they are each dedicated to an individual pagan god. One takes him aback, as it is dedicated to, "THE UNKNOWN GOD". 

How like the people of Athens we can become. I feel like we can have alters to unknown gods. What I mean is that we can get so caught up in something unimportant here on earth that it ends up being something that we subconsciously “worship”. It may not even be one of the common earthly things that people tend to "worship" such as money, cars, etc. It can be anything that consumes too much of your time, energy, or gets in the way of better things. 

I've found that sometimes I let little things like popularity, clothing, or even classes get in the way of the more important spiritual things in my life. Even little things like that can take up a substantial amount of time that I could be doing much more worthwhile things with my life. I think this is an area where everyone can always improve, so let's do our best, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment